Chapter: Home Sweet Home

Platter from Winnipeg General Hospital

"Before there were plastic plates"
1875 Winnipeg General Hospital incorporation platter with crest, motto "Help the Diseased" Winnipeg General Hospital platter

Story

This platter is stamped with the Winnipeg General Hospital crest and incorporation date of May 14, 1875. Within the crest is also stamped the Latin motto AGROTIS SUCCURRERE, which is loosely translated as "Help of the Diseased". This artifact reflects the history of Manitoba's largest hospital. The Winnipeg General Hospital was founded in 1872 by leaders from within the Winnipeg community. In 1973 the Winnipeg General Hospital merged with two other facilities to create the Health Sciences Centre.