List Museums By Name
Sprague & District Historical Museum
3 Simenson Street
Sprague MB R0A 1Z0
Primary Phone: 204-437-2342
Admission: Donations only
Sat & Sun 1 - 5 pm, June 14 to October and weekdays by appointment.
Off Season Hours:
By appointment call 204-437-2210 or 204-437-4686 or 204-437-2209
About the Museum:
The Sprague & district Historical Museum Inc. is the only museum in the Rural Municipality of Piney. It was organized in 2005 and opened in 2006 in the old Lutheran/Catholic church that was sold to us for $2000. Five years later another small building was moved owned by E. Holmgran & Son Ltd. and donated to the museum where a lot of local artifacts are on exhibit. A Veteran's monument was put up on the museum site in 2012. It honours all who served in WWI, WWII, post wars and peace keeping missions. A book listing all the names of the veterans is in the museum listed by villages and in alphabetical order. In 2014, the First Pentecostal Historical building was moved on the museum site and is now under renovation. The completion of the renovation of this building will give us much needed space to house new exhibits and artifacts while maintaining its authenticity. In 2018, another small building was brought in known as the "Trapper's Shed". A lot of information on trapping and hunting, etc., are in that building.
The history of all the towns and hamlets in the R.M. of Piney was being lost. The museum houses the history of schools, post offices, general stores, CN stations, barber shops, churches and cemetaries, veterans, sports, forest industries, etc.. Since the opening of the museum much of the history has been preserved in the form of books, artifacts, displays and videos.
In 2021, we added a logging camp. Information on logging in our area from early 1900 to today. We will be adding a red river cart in 2022.
Virtual Tour: By appointment
(click image to enlarge)