Specialized Courses exist to meet an expressed need from our member museums and/or to go into more depth of one of our CPMP courses. Sometimes we develop the course ourselves with the help of our instructors, or we bring the course in from another organization.
If your museum is interested in taking one of these courses please contact the AMM office. We will try our best to schedule the course if there is enough interest.
Click HERE to see our calendar from November 2018 to September 2021.
Mount Making - CCI
April 16 & 17, 2019, Parks Canada (145 McDermot Ave.), Winnipeg
A properly displayed object shows off its attributes, while not putting it at risk of damage.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- understand and explain why mounts are important and how best they can be designed and tailored to fully protect and support objects
- choose appropriate materials, tools and techniques for making support mounts
- make safe and accurate measurements of museum objects using appropriate tools
- recognize, design and produce safe, efficient mounts
Each participant is expected to produce one to three mounts during the workshop, depending on experience and on the complexity of their project(s). The workshop ends with a round-table review of the mounts created during the workshop.
Fees: (see below)
Registration Deadline: March 29, 2019
This course is now full. Additional registrations will be put on a wait list.
Click HERE to register or email the AMM office at programs(at)museumsmanitoba(dot)com.
Here are some other Specialized Courses we’ve held:
- Artifacts and Aboriginal Cultural Centres
- Care and Handling of Photographic Materials
- Care of Industrial Objects
- Effective Fund Development
- Exhibit Techniques - Text and Label Writing
- Finding Success Hiring Summer Students
- Governance & Leadership
- Heritage Facility Planning
- Mannequin Making
- Paper Chase
- Pest Eradication
- Photographing Your Collections
- Preservation Management for Seasonal Museums
- Project Management
If your museum feels it needs some instruction on a given topic or area of museum work, phone the AMM office at 204-947-1782, 1-866-747-9323 or email programs(at)museumsmanitoba(dot)com.
Other organizations who offer courses for not-for-profits
Northeast Document Conservation Center (webinars from the States)