Current Course Calendar
Delivering on Your Tour
This course will help participants improve their tour guiding skills.
• Museum tour guides, docents, interpreters, education specialists
• Experienced guides, summer students, and museum volunteers
• Guides with at least some tour guiding experience, which will be drawn on during the course
• Review their experiences as tour participants to explore what makes a good tour and good tour guide
• Learn about key elements in a tour’s structure and how they might incorporate them into their tours
• Learn about tour delivery techniques and tricks of the trade
• Have an opportunity to practice elements of a tour in small groups and receive group feedback
Delivering on Your Tour is a one day course for tour guides/docents/interpreters. The course will cover tour design and delivery. While this is not an advanced course, it does assume you have some experience delivering tours. You will be expected to share your experience with the group. The course will be delivered in Spring 2018 as a primer for the start of the busy summer tourism season.
The course will be facilitated by Sherry Dangerfield, who has over 25 years experience in the field. She developed and taught the Red River College Tourism Program “Interpretation and Tour Guiding” course for 10 years. She has provided a number of trainings for different museums around the province as well as teaching other courses for the AMM.
Date: May 17, 2018
Location: Dalnavert Museum (61 Carlton Street, Winnipeg)
To register click HERE
Certificate Program in Museum Practice
Please note that course registration fees are subject to change.
One day course
$125 for the first registration
* $110 for additional participants from the same institution
Two day course
$180 for the first registration
* $150 for additional participants from the same institution
* It is up to the institution to register participants together so the discount may be applied. Individual registrations will be invoiced for the full fee.
One day course
Two day course
Courses are limited to 20 participants unless otherwise stated.
Collections Care & Preventive Conservation
NOTE DATE CHANGE!
The rate and type of deterioration of your artifacts can be lessened if some basic preventive conservation practices are in place. But what do you look for? What steps should you take? This introductory course will provide a basic understanding of general approaches to the handling and storing of museum objects. It will also help participants to identify problem areas in their own museums and how to address these areas.
Preventive Conservation is:
• Knowing your site, buildings, and collections
• Causes of deterioration
• Environmental monitoring and controls
• Preventive measures
• Storage, care and handling, display
• Policies and procedures: why bother?
• Classification of materials
• Condition reporting and treatments
Date: June 23 & 24, 2018
Location: Mennonite Heritage Village, Steinbach
Instructor: Jane Dalley
Registration Deadline: June 14, 2018
Click HERE to register.
- *subject to change
Beginning: Wednesday November 25th 2015