Specialized Courses exist to meet an expressed need from our member museums and/or to go into more depth of one of our CPMP courses. Sometimes we develop the course ourselves with the help of our instructors, or we bring the course in from another organization.
If your museum is interested in taking one of these courses please contact the AMM office. We will try our best to schedule the course if there is enough interest.
Click HERE to see our calendar from November 2018 to September 2021.
Delivering on Your Tour
This course will help participants improve their tour guiding skills.
• Museum tour guides, docents, interpreters, education specialists
• Experienced guides, summer students, and museum volunteers
• Guides with at least some tour guiding experience, which will be drawn on during the course
• Review their experiences as tour participants to explore what makes a good tour and good tour guide
• Learn about key elements in a tour’s structure and how they might incorporate them into their tours
• Learn about tour delivery techniques and tricks of the trade
• Have an opportunity to practice elements of a tour in small groups and receive group feedback
Delivering on Your Tour is a one day course for tour guides/docents/interpreters. The course will cover tour design and delivery. While this is not an advanced course, it does assume you have some experience delivering tours. You will be expected to share your experience with the group. The course will be delivered in Spring 2018 as a primer for the start of the busy summer tourism season.
The course will be facilitated by Sherry Dangerfield, who has over 25 years experience in the field. She developed and taught the Red River College Tourism Program “Interpretation and Tour Guiding” course for 10 years and has provided a number of trainings for different museums around the province as well as teaching other courses for the AMM.
Modern Information Carriers and Digital Preservation
YOU ASKED FOR IT AND WE'RE DELIVERING!
At last year's conference, and at regional meetings, we've heard that many of you are looking at preserving photographs, documents, databases, etc. in a digital format to preserve originals and to make them easier to access and use.
But which digital format to use? How best to preserve them? If you have any floppy discs or tapes gathering dust in a corner, you know that digital formats change over time making what was once "new and improved" "very old and obsolete".
Ern Bieman, from Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN), presented Digital Preservation Tips and Examples for Small Museums at this year’s conference and many delegates expressed interest in learning more about digital formats and preservation.
Here's the write up from the conference program:
In 2013 CHIN launched the Digital Preservation Toolkit, an online collection of resources designed to help cultural heritage institutions preserve their digital content to ensure access in the long-term. This talk reviews two museums that have used these tools, and provides tips for carrying out digital preservation in your own smaller museums.
This two-day Specialized Course will be held on January 16 & 17, 2018 at the Manitoba Crafts Museum & Library (1- 329 Cumberland Ave.) in Winnipeg.
Click HERE for more information on the course
Click HERE for the Agenda
Click HERE to register
Here are some other Specialized Courses we’ve held:
- Artifacts and Aboriginal Cultural Centres
- Care and Handling of Photographic Materials
- Care of Industrial Objects
- Effective Fund Development
- Exhibit Techniques - Text and Label Writing
- Finding Success Hiring Summer Students
- Governance & Leadership
- Heritage Facility Planning
- Mannequin Making
- Paper Chase
- Pest Eradication
- Photographing Your Collections
- Preservation Management for Seasonal Museums
- Project Management
If your museum feels it needs some instruction on a given topic or area of museum work, phone the AMM office at 204-947-1782, 1-866-747-9323 or email.
Other organizations who offer courses for not-for-profits
Northeast Document Conservation Center (webinars from the States)